Chiefs Fall to Falcons 40-24

Posted Sep 9, 2012

Good first half doesn't continue into second half

The Kansas City Chiefs started opening day without four defensive starters against a high-flying offensive attack from the Atlanta Falcons. The Chiefs fell to the Falcons 40-24.

The Falcons got into the end zone first when WR Julio Jones caught a short pass from QB Matt Ryan with 8:56 left in the first quarter. K Matt Bryant’s extra point was good putting Atlanta on the board first 7-0.

The Chiefs pushed their way down the field in just over four minutes. WR Dwayne Bowe recorded his first reception of the game, hauling in a 23-yard pass from QB Matt Cassel. K Ryan Succop’s 39-yard field goal made the score 7-3 with 4:06 left in the first quarter.

On the ensuing kickoff, Atlanta’s RB Jacquizz Rodgers returned the kick for 77 yards before being pushed out of bounds at the Kansas City 24-yard line. The Chiefs defense put up a fight and the Falcons were forced to kick a 34-yard field goal from Bryant.

On the eighth play of the Chiefs next drive, Bowe caught a pass from Cassel for a 21-yard gain. Once again, Bowe set up his team to score as TE Kevin Boss caught a 22-yard highlight reel touchdown. Succop’s extra point was good tying the game at 10-10 with 11:45 left in the second quarter.

The Falcons responded quickly with their own touchdown as Jones caught a 14-yard pass from Ryan. Bryant’s extra point was good as the Falcons took back the lead 17-10 with 7:48 left in the second.

On the Chiefs first play of the next possession RB Jamaal Charles blasted by defenders running the ball 46 yards. As the Chiefs made their way towards the end zone Cassel took matters into his own hands and ran for a five-yard touchdown, tying the game at, 17-17 with 3:38 left to play in the first half.

LB Justin Houston had his first sack of the season, as he bulldozed over Ryan on the Chiefs 10 yard line with 1:14 left in the second quarter. The Chiefs defense held strong, keeping the Falcons out of the end zone. Bryant was forced to kick a 21-yard field goal giving the Falcons a three-point lead, 20-17 at the end of the first half.

In the third quarter the Falcons made their way to the 5-yard line when Ryan scrambled right and ran in the end zone with 4:54 left in the third quarter. Bryant’s field goal increased the Falcons lead 27-17.

TE Tony Gonzalez was playing as a visitor of Arrowhead for the first time. Gonzalez received an outstanding welcome from Chiefs fans…until he scored late in the third quarter. Cassel was sacked and the ball was fumbled at the Kansas City 6-yard line. The Falcons recovered and responded with a touchdown from Gonzalez extending their lead 34-17 with 3:56 left in the third.

Early in the fourth quarter, Bryant’s 30-yard field goal made the score 37-17. Later, with 10:44 left in the game, the Falcons hit another field goal from Bryant for 41-yards pushing the score to 40-17.

With 0:09 left in the game RB Shaun Draughn ran up the middle and into the end zone for a four-yard touchdown. Succop’s extra point was good making the final score 40-24.

The Chiefs will have another tough game next week as they travel to Buffalo to take on the Bills.

^ TOP ^