Chiefs Fall to Texans 35 - 31

Posted Oct 17, 2010

HOUSTON, TX - The Texans outlasted the Chiefs 35-31 in a second half scoring battle. With 0:36 seconds left in regulation, Texans QB Matt Schaub connected with WR Andre Johnson on a fade route in the end zone to give Houston its only lead of the game at Reliant Stadium.


The Chiefs offense racked up 417 net yards, including a season-high 228 rushing yards. WR Dwayne Bowe recorded his sixth 100-yard receiving game with six catches for 108 yards and tied a career high with two TDs. RBs Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles combined for 193 yards, including a 100-yard effort from Jones, his first as a member of the Chiefs. LB Mike Vrabel recorded his 10th career TD in the first quarter. QB Matt Cassel finished the game with 20 completions for 201 yards and three TDs. Cassel finished the game with a 122.9 rating, his highest mark as a member of the Chiefs.

After receiving the game’s opening kick the Chiefs were faced with a third and long on their initial drive. Cassel hit Bowe for 14 yards and a first down, keeping the drive alive. The Chiefs moved into Houston territory when Cassel rushed for eight yard to Houston’s 49-yard line. The Chiefs relied heavily on their running game as RBs Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones rushed for nine and then eight yards moving the Chiefs to the Texans 25-yard line. On fourth-and-two from Houston’s 17, Cassel’s pass fell incomplete but a pass interference penalty gave the Chiefs a first down. Five plays later the Chiefs were faced with fourth-and-one from the two-yard line. Cassel rolled out to his right and found Vrabel in the corner for the TD giving the Chiefs a 7-0 lead with 6:23 to play in the opening stanza. The Chiefs drive went 74 yards on 15 plays eating 8:37 off the clock. The Chiefs were two-for-two on fourth-down attempts on the drive and Cassel was five-for-five on pass attempts.

The Chiefs defense held their own forcing the Texans to a three-and-out on their first possession of the game. The teams went punt for punt until early in the second quarter when Schaub connected with WR Andre Johnson for 44 yards down to KC’s 30-yard line. RB Arian Foster rattled off a four-yard catch followed by an eight-yard run moving the Texans to the 26. Following another Foster run Schaub connected with TE Owen Daniels for eight yard and another Foster run gave them first-and-goal from the seven. Two plays later under duress, Schaub bought time with his legs then found TE Joel Dreessen in the end zone from five yards out to tie the score at 7-7 with 6:45 to play in the second quarter. The TD capped a nine play, 74-yard drive that ate 4:37 off the clock.

The Chiefs offense answered, though. After a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty got the drive started, Charles rattled off runs of 14 and four to move the Chiefs into Texans territory. The Chiefs again were faced with a fourth and short, but a false start penalty moved them back five yards forcing a Chiefs punt. From their own 20-yard line the Texans took over, but a DT Ron Edwards sack hampered the drive and forced an eventual punt.

With 2:13 to play in the first half the Chiefs offense took over and again marched down the field. On third and 12 from KC’s 35 Cassel fired a pass to Bowe who just got his hands underneath the ball to pick up 19 yards. The play went under review and the catch was upheld. The Chiefs resumed their drive at Houston’s 46-yard line. Charles rumbled 16 yards down to the Texans 30. With 0:25 to play before intermission Cassel connected with Jones for a 10-yard pickup. On the next play Cassel fired a bullet to Bowe on a post route in the end zone to put the Chiefs up 14-7 at the half. Kansas City’s drive covered seven plays for 63 yards.

Following the break the Texans were first to touch the ball but were forced to punt. The Chiefs offense found rhythm early after Cassel connected with TE Tony Moeaki for an 11-yard pickup on third-and-six to keep the chains moving. The Chiefs broke into Texans territory on a third-and-three when Cassel hit Bowe for a seven-yard gain. Three plays later Cassel drilled Bowe again, this time on a quick slant. Bowe weaved his way 42 yards through the Texans defense into the end zone for the TD pushing the Chiefs lead to 21-7 with 8:31 to play in the third quarter.

The Texans answered right back with a TD of their own when RB Derrick Ward took the handoff from Schaub 38 yards down the left sideline into the end zone cutting the Chiefs lead to 21-14 with 7:12 left in the third quarter. The TD capped a three play, 66-yard drive that was assisted with two Chiefs penalties.

CB Javier Arenas took the ensuing kickoff 24 yards to the Houston 30. Cassel handed off to WR Dexter McCluster who picked up 20 yards off the left end putting the Chiefs at midfield. The running game continued to propel the Chiefs. Jones, Charles and McCluster combined for 65 yards on the drive setting up K Ryan Succop for his first field goal attempt of the afternoon. Succop’s kick was true giving the Chiefs a 24-14 lead with 3:01 remaining in the third quarter.

The Texans took a short kickoff into Chiefs territory but a DE Wallace Gilberry sack and a penalty pushed Houston back to the KC 49. On fourth-and-one from the KC 37 Schaub found Daniels for nine yards as the third quarter expired. Schaub then hit Foster on a swing route for four yards followed by a completion to WR Jacoby Jones down to the Chiefs six-yard line. Two plays later on second-and-goal from the two-yard line Foster punched it in the end zone on a handoff again cutting the Chiefs lead to 21-24 with 12:10 left in regulation.

The Chiefs offense wasn’t backing down as they orchestrated another scoring drive of their own. The Chiefs converted two key third downs followed by a personal foul penalty to move them into the Red Zone. RB Thomas Jones then took a handoff from Cassel at Houston’s 11-yard line made a couple key cuts and took it into the end zone capping a nine-play, 70-yard drive. The score put the Chiefs up 31-21 with 7:11 remaining.

On the Texans ensuing possession the Texans moved quickly into Chiefs territory after Schaub completed back-to-back passes of 24 then 27 yards to Daniels, putting the ball at the Chiefs 35. Ward then took a handoff 16 yards down to the Chiefs six-yard line. Two plays later Foster ran it in for the TD from one-yard out making the score 31-28 KC with 3:34 left in regulation.

The Chiefs offense was forced to punt on their next possession giving the Texans the ball with 2:30 left to play. Schaub and company connected on passes of 10 and 15 yards then a 31-yard completion to WR Andre Johnson moving the Texans to the Chiefs 24-yard line with 1:48 to play. Faced with a third-and-10 from KC’s 24 Schaub hit Daniels on a quick slant for 11 yards. With the clock winding down Schaub found Johnson on a fade route in the corner of the end zone giving the Texans their only lead of the game 35-31 with 0:36 to play.

The Chiefs offense took the field one last time. Kansas City moved the ball to Houston’s 38-yard line but with 0:04 remaining Cassel was sacked by DT Amobi Okoye and the clock expired preserving the Texans 35-31 victory.

^ TOP ^