Chiefs come back and beat Saints 27-24 in OT

Posted Sep 23, 2012

Dome Sweet Dome, the Kansas City Chiefs find their win away from home.

It came down to a sudden death situation and the Chiefs prevailed against a determined New Orleans squad as they grab their first victory with a hard fought 27-24 win in the Mercedes Benz Superdome.

QB Drew Brees felt the pressure and the Saints remain winless while the Chiefs have entered the “W” column.

The Chiefs defense started slow after giving up an opening scoring drive to the Saints. New Orleans drove the field and it felt as if the same outcome of past weeks would haunt the Chiefs in the Crescent City. However, the Chiefs took back the momentum and fought the din of the crowd and a desperate Saints team. The Chiefs decided to play a slower, more decisive game while keeping Drew Brees on the sidelines as long as possible and it paid dividends.

After the Saints took a 7-0 lead, the Chiefs promptly moved down the field. Starting at their own 12-yard line QB Matt Cassel and company drove down into Saints territory. Stalled by the defense, K Ryan Succop booted a 25-yard field goal with 4:51 to go in the first quarter. The Chiefs were on the board and their 7:27 drive covered 82 yards over six-plays.

The second quarter was all about field goals. The Saints increased their lead with a 40-yard field goal from K Garrett Hartley to cap a 10-play, 65-yard drive that ate up nearly five minutes. The Chiefs answered with a kick from Succop in a five-play, 18-yard scoring drive with 4:46 left in the first half.

At the end of second quarter, the Saints RB Pierre Thomas caught a pass from Brees and ran nine yards for a touchdown. The play went under review and was reversed; Brees’ pass was determined incomplete. On the next play, Brees was sacked at Kansas City’s 20-yard line and the Saints were forced to attempt a field goal. Hartley’s field goal was too far to the right leaving the Saints at 10-6 as they headed into the locker room at the half.

After back-to-back challenges, TE Jimmy Graham caught a one-yard pass from Brees with 13:10 left in the third quarter increasing their lead, 17-6.

With 5:36 remaining in the third quarter Brees looked to Jed Collins for a 6 yard pass in the endzone pushing the Saints to a lead of 18 and what looked like the end for a hungry Chiefs team.

Kansas City answered on the first play of the next drive emphatically. In a foot race to the end zone, RB Jamaal Charles ran for a 91-yard touchdown with 5:18 left in the third quarter. Not only was it the longest run in franchise history, but it was also the much needed spark the Chiefs had hoped for.

Moments later, on the next drive Brees threw an interception right into the hands of CB Stanford Routt, his first interception as a Chief.

As the fourth quarter opened, the Chiefs were flirting with 400 total net yards and an epic comeback. After covering 52 yards, Succop was set up for a 34-yard field goal with 13:40 left in the fourth quarter, giving the Chiefs another push of momentum.

After Succop connected on his fourth field goal of the day, the Chiefs defense dug in. After exchanging punts, LB Justin Houston sacked Brees for seven yards in the endzone, notching the first safety of the season for the Chiefs with the score 21-24 in favor of the Saints.

Head coach Romeo Crennel and his defensive squad were looking like the Chiefs of late 2011 as they played with purpose and confidence.

It was now time for OC Brian Daboll and the offense to go back to work and their drive began on the Kansas City 38-yard line.

Two quick gives to Charles netted 0 yards and the Chiefs faced a third and 10. It was then when a scrambling Cassel pulled a heroic move putting his back to the defense and hurling an 11 yard completion to second year man, WR Jon Baldwin, who made a leaping grab to keep the drive alive before the two minute warning.

After the two minute break, the Chiefs were threatening with a second and four on the Saints 33 but a Charles run was stuffed and the Chiefs faced yet another third down.

A coaching gaff from the New Orleans sidelines aided the Chiefs on the drive and the Saints were hit with a delay of game penalty. Cassel snuck the ball on a third and one and pushed the Chiefs close to the Saints endzone.

With 46 seconds left on the clock, the Chiefs and Charles got Succop in range and he drilled his fifth kick of the day and sent the game to overtime.

The Chiefs received the ball first and were unable to capitalize and depended on their defense to get after a Saints team that was pinned deep into their own territory by a Dustin Colquitt punt.

The defense seemed to click in the extra innings and swarmed to the ball keeping Saints receivers locked down and unable to get free. Forcing a three and out…it was time for the Chiefs offense to end the game and notch their first win.

With Succop warming up on the sidelines, Cassel and company went to work. RB Shawn Draughn snared a short pass and after picking up yardage, stretched within inches of a first down.

On fourth down, Charles added to his Herculean effort and picked up the first down, resuscitating yet another drive for Kansas City. Methodically moving the ball, a determined Cassel hit TE Tony Moeaki and WR Dwayne Bowe on back-to-back receptions creeping closer into field goal range and closer towards a victory.

The ground game took over and inched the ball to the 13-yard line. The Chiefs stood arm in arm on the sidelines, desperately hoping for Succop to maintain his perfect afternoon. Succop hit his sixth of six kicks, this one for 31 yards, and inevitably the victory.

The Chiefs have gained their first win of the season and a boost of hope moving forward.


- The Chiefs had 21 unanswered points
- Succop was a perfect 6-6 on the afternoon (Franchise record)
- Charles is now the only player in Chiefs history with multiple runs of at least 80 yards
- Houston recorded three sacks

^ TOP ^