Chiefs down Bills 13-10 in OT

Posted Oct 31, 2010


K Ryan Succop nailed a 35-yard FG attempt as time expired in overtime to give the Chiefs a thrilling 13-10 victory over the Buffalo Bills at Arrowhead. The Bills were first to touch the ball in overtime, but K Rian Lindell’s 53-yard attempt hit the right upright and was no good. The Chiefs then had a shot to put it away earlier in the extra period, but a strong wind pushed Succop’s 39-yard attempt wide left.


The Chiefs running game was once again one of key factors in the Chiefs victory. Kansas City eclipsed the 200-yard mark for the third straight week behind Jones and RB Jamaal Charles, the first time since ’78 the Chiefs have strung together three straight 200-yard rushing games. Charles racked up 177 rushing yards on 22 attempts, as KC piled up a season-high 45 rushing attempts. Jones broke the 500-yard rushing barrier on the season, becoming the first player in NFL history to accomplish that feat with five different teams.

Kansas City’s offense found rhythm in the running game early. After receiving the opening kickoff Charles took a handoff around the left end 32 yards down to Buffalo’s 35-yard line. However the Chiefs drive stalled and the team was forced to punt four plays later.

Buffalo’s offense completed two third-down passes but their initial drive was halted when Chiefs LBs Andy Studebaker and Tamba Hali sacked QB Ryan Fitzpatrick on third and four from the Bills 49-yard line, forcing Buffalo to punt.

After Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt pinned the Bills deep in their own territory, Kansas City left the Bills off the hook when LB Demorrio Williams was penalized for running into the kicker, giving Buffalo a first down. Chiefs DE Wallace Gilberry sacked Fitzpatrick for an 11-yard loss and forced a fumble that was recovered by the Bills. Three plays later the Bills were forced to punt.

Kansas City’s offense took over at its own 35-yard line and promptly marched the Chiefs into Buffalo territory. On fourth and two from Buffalo’s 19-yard line, the Chiefs eschewed a FG try and QB Matt Cassel was sacked by Bills NT Kyle Williams for a loss giving Buffalo the football at their own 20.

The teams went punt for punt for the majority of the first half. With 3:54 left to play before intermission Kansas City’s offense began at its own 29-yard line. Three consecutive runs moved the Chiefs to the 47-yard line. Cassel then connected with Charles on a short pass up the middle for 19 yards, putting Kansas City at the Buffalo 31. From there, Charles took a handoff from Cassel around the left side for 18 yards, setting up the Chiefs with first and goal from the one. On the next play Cassel threw to Bowe’s back shoulder on a fade route, capping a six play, 71-yard drive giving KC a 7-0 lead. Charles accounted for 67 yards on the TD drive.

Buffalo received the ensuing kickoff and had 1:28 on the clock to work with. The Bills offense was able orchestrate a drive that moved them into Chiefs territory. However, Hali sacked Fitzpatrick, taking him down for a 12-yard loss, a play that was upheld by instant replay. Time expired in the second quarter on the next play and Kansas City was able to take a 7-0 lead into the locker room.

The Bills received the second-half kickoff and Fitzpatrick slowly moved his squad into Chiefs territory. The Chiefs defense stiffened, forcing a K Rian Lindell 43-yard FG. Lindell’s kick sailed through the uprights, cutting KC’s lead to 7-3 with 6:08 to play in the third quarter.

After the two clubs exchanged punts, the Chiefs then went back to their running game, rushing the ball 10 consecutive times to pick up 54 yards moving them to Buffalo’s 11-yard line. Two plays later K Ryan Succop put through a 28-yard FG upping the Chiefs lead 10-3 with 9:41 left to play in the fourth quarter.

Fitzpatrick and company then proceeded to construct a 15-play, 83-yard drive. The Bills moved into Chiefs territory with a 37-yard pass to WR Roscoe Parrish, setting Buffalo up at the Chiefs 20-yard line. On the next play Fitzpatrick hit WR Lee Evans for six yards. CB Brandon Flowers jarred the ball loose near the sideline and the fumble was recovered by LB Mike Vrabel. After a Buffalo challenge, the ruling on the field was overturned as the ball was touched by Vrabel while out of bounds and Buffalo maintained possession at the 13-yard line with 4:08 left in the fourth quarter.

On third and three the Bills gained just enough for the first down, setting them up with first and goal from the 10. On third and goal from the four Hali swatted Fitzpatrick’s pass incomplete. Faced with fourth and goal from the four-yard line, Fitzpatrick hit WR Steve Johnson on a quick slant for a game-tying TD with 2:18 remaining in the fourth period. The play was challenged by Head Coach Todd Haley but the call on the field was upheld.

The ensuing kickoff from Buffalo resulted in a touchback. The Chiefs began at their own 20-yard line with 2:18 to play. In the two-minute offense, Kansas City was faced with a fourth and one from its own 29-yard line. The Chiefs appeared to get the first down on a QB sneak by Cassel, but the Chiefs called a timeout before the ball was snapped and eventually elected to punt.

Parrish returned Colquitt’s punt 33 yards to Buffalo’s 48-yard line. On second and 10, Fitzpatrick completed a nine-yard pass to TE David Nelson. On third and one the Bills converted giving them a fresh set of downs. The very next play Fitzpatrick’s pass sailed over the head of his intended receiver and was picked off by S Eric Berry with 0:32 to play in regulation. Cassel was sacked on the next play and the clock expired sending the game into overtime.

After winning the coin toss, Buffalo elected to receive. They began the drive at their own 29-yard line. The first play from scrimmage was a reverse to Parrish for 13 yards with a 15-yard facemask penalty on LB Mike Vrabel putting the Bills at KC’s 43. Faced with a third and 10 from there, Buffalo picked up three yards and was forced to punt.

Kansas City’s offense took the field at their own 20 to start the drive. Charles continued to pick up big chunks of yards as he rattled off carries of 10 and 13 yards. On third and seven from the KC 46 Cassel scrambled for five yards bringing up a punt from Colquitt. Buffalo took back over at its own 10-yard line. On third and seven from Buffalo’s 25 Fitzpatrick found Evans for 17 yards, moving the club to the Buffalo 42-yard line. Fitzpatrick again connected with Evans, this time for 21 yards, moving the Bills to Kansas City’s 37-yard line. On third and 10 from the 37, Fitzpatrick scrambled for three yards. Lindell came on to attempt a 53-yard FG and put the kick through the uprights, but Haley had called timeout prior to the snap, forcing Lindell to try again. This time Lindell line-drive kick careening off the right upright, giving the Chiefs new life.

From the Chiefs own 43-yard line Cassel connected with TE Tony Moeaki for 16 yards. Charles had back-to-back runs of six and nine yards moving KC to Buffalo’s 26-yard line. Four plays later the Chiefs sent Succop out for the game winner from 39-yards out. Succop’s kick into the wind sailed wide left giving Buffalo possession at their own 21. On third and one from Buffalo’s 43 the Bills picked up just enough for the first down. With 2:00 remaining in the OT session Fitzpatrick scrambled 14 yards to the Chiefs 42. On third and 10 from KC’s 42 Fitzpatrick was charged with intentionally grounding, pushing Buffalo back to its own 43-yard line forcing Buffalo to punt. P Brian Moorman’s punt went out of bounds at the Chiefs 31-yard line.

With only 1:20 to play in the overtime period Cassel hit Charles for 16 yards. Two plays later Cassel found Moeaki for a 12-yard gain. An 18-yard completion to Moeaki moved the Chiefs to the Buffalo 35-yard line. Cassel hit Moeaki again, this time for an 11-yard gain to the Buffalo 24. An eight-yard run by Charles was followed by a quick spike set up, setting up Succop for a 35-yard field goal attempt with 0:05 remaining on the clock. This time Succop’s kick split the uprights giving the Chiefs a thrilling 13-10 victory over Buffalo as time expired in the overtime session.

^ TOP ^