When the Kansas City Chiefs play the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, running backs coach Eric Bieniemy will return to face a team whose ground game he helped to greatness.
Bieniemy served as the Vikings running backs coach from 2006 to 2010. In each of those seasons, a Vikings back ran for at least 1,000 yards.
Such backs include Vikings RB Adrian Peterson, who rushed for 1,760 yards in 2008.
Bieniemy came to the Chiefs in 2013 under head coach Andy Reid and has since helped Chiefs RB
From 1991-1999, Bieniemy, who attended the University of Colorado, was a running back in the NFL for nine years. He was drafted 39th overall by San Diego, then spent time in Cincinnati before playing one year in Philadelphia (1999) under Chiefs head coach Andy Reid.
In 2001, Bieniemy became the running backs coach for his alma mater, Colorado. While serving as the running backs coach at UCLA in his second college coaching stint, Bieniemy coached former All-Pro running back Maurice Jones-Drew.
- Vikings CB Terence Newman (2003-11) was a member of the Cowboys defensive backfield while Chiefs linebackers coach Gary Gibbs (2002- 05) was the team’s linebackers coach. Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer (1994-06) also spent several seasons with Gibbs when the two were a part of the Dallas Cowboys’ coaching staff. In 2003, the two led the Cowboys defense to the No. 1 ranking in the NFL.
- Chiefs DB
Ron Parker(2012) and Vikings CB Captain Munnerlyn (2009- 13) were teammates with the Carolina Panthers for part of the 2012 season. Parker also played for the Panthers when Vikings quarterbacks coach Scott Turner served as the offensive quality control coach (2011-12).
- Minnesota LS Kevin McDermott (2014) and Kansas City T
Jah Reid(2011-14) played together for the Baltimore Ravens for one season.
- Vikings DT Tom Johnson (2011-13) was a teammate of Chiefs QB
Chase Daniel(2009-12) and G Ben Grubbs(2012-14) with the Saints.
- Chiefs QB
Alex Smith(2005-12) was a teammate of Vikings QB Shaun Hill (2006-09) with the 49ers.
- Vikings C Joe Berger (2005-06, 2009-10) played for the Dolphins for four seasons, during his second stint in Miami, he was a teammate of Chiefs CB
Sean Smith(2009-12) and defensive assistant/secondary Al Harris (2010) when Harris was a CB.
- Kansas City defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09) served as the interim head coach for the Atlanta Falcons when Minnesota head coach Mike Zimmer (2007) was the defensive coordinator, assistant defensive backs coach Jonathan Gannon (2007) served as defensive assistant/quality control, wide receivers coach George Stewart (2003-06) served in the same position and head strength and conditioning coach Evan Marcus (2007) had the same title. Gannon also overlapped with Chiefs defensive assistant/secondary coach Al Harris (2011) when Harris played for the Rams and Gannon (2009-11) was a scout. Harris (2010) also played in Miami when Marcus (2008-10) served in the same position.
- Chiefs director of football administration Trip MacCracken (1999-09) was a part of the Browns organization when Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards (2004) was the team’s linebackers coach, offensive line coach Jeff Davidson (2005-06) served in the same position, assistant offensive line coach Hank Fraley (2006-09) played for the Browns and defensive line coach Andre Patterson (2003-04) served in the same role. Edwards was also the linebackers coach (2005-09) for the Dolphins when Chiefs CB Sean Smith (2009-12) played and defensive assistant/secondary coach Al Harris (2012) served as a coaching intern for Miami.
- Minnesota offensive coordinator Norv Turner (1994-00) was the head coach in Washington when Kansas City offensive line coach Andy Heck (1999-00) played on the line and Vikings running backs coach Kirby Wilson (2000) held the same title. Heck helped pave the way for RB Stephen Davis to rush for 1,405 yards in 1999. Turner (2006) also served as the offensive coordinator in San Francisco when Chiefs QB Alex Smith (2005-12) played for the 49ers.
- Minnesota offensive line coach Jeff Davidson (1997-04) served in the same position for New England and running backs coach Kirby Wilson (1997-99) held the same title when Chiefs director of college scouting Marvin Allen (1996-08) worked in the player personnel department. Allen (1996-08) also spent a season with Vikings defensive line coach Andre Patterson (1997) was a defensive assistant for the Patriots. Additionally, Patterson (2000-02) overlapped one year with Chiefs linebackers coach Gary Gibbs (2002-05) when Gibbs coached for the Cowboys and Patterson was the defensive line coach.
- Vikings assistant offensive line coach Hank Fraley (2000-05) played for the Eagles when several members of the Chiefs staff were a part of the organization.
- Chiefs assistant head coach/wide receivers David Culley (1994-95) served as the wide receivers coach for the Buccaneers when Minnesota wide receivers coach George Stewart (1992-95) coached the special teams.
- Chiefs DL
Nick Williams(2013-14) played for the Steelers when Vikings running backs coach Kirby Wilson (2007-13) served in the same role.
- When Kansas City linebackers coach Gary Gibbs (2006-08) was the defensive coordinator for the Saints, Vikings linebackers coach Adam Zimmer (2006-08) was a defensive assistant.
- Chiefs CB Sean Smith (2010) played for the Dolphins when Vikings head strength and conditioning coach Evan Marcus (2008-10) served in the same role.
- Chiefs RB
Knile Davis(2009-12) and Vikings WR Jarius Wright (2008- 11) were teammates at Arkansas for three seasons together.
- Vikings K Blair Walsh (2008-11) overlapped at the University of Georgia with four members of the Chiefs: LB
Justin Houston(2007-10), QB Aaron Murray(2009-13), WR Chris Conley(2011-14) and LB Ramik Wilson(2011-14).
- Minnesota DE Justin Trattou (2007-10) and DT Sharrif Floyd (2010-12) teamed with Chiefs WR
Frankie HammondJr. (2008-12) and DT Jaye Howard(2008-11) at Florida.
- Chiefs FB
Anthony Sherman(2007-10) and Vikings DT Shamar Stephen (2010-13) were teammates at the University of Connecticut for one season together. The two helped the Huskies to a berth in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl.
- Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles (2005-07) and LB
Derrick Johnson(2001- 04) were teammates with Vikings DE Brian Robison (2003-06) at the University of Texas. Robison and Charles helped the Longhorns win the 2005 National Championship.
- Minnesota WR Cordarrelle Patterson played for Tennessee in 2012, where he was a teammate of Chiefs G
Zach Fulton(2010-13). Before he was a Volunteer, Patterson played at Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson, Kan., where he was a two-time NJCAA All-American.
- Minnesota CB Terence Newman went to Kansas State (1998-02), where he was the 2002 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, a consensus All- American and was the Wildcats’ first Jim Thorpe Award winner.
- Kansas City DL
Allen Bailey(2007-10) and Minnesota TE Chase Ford (2010-11) were at the University of Miami together for one season.
- Vikings DE Scott Crichton (2010-13) was a member of the Oregon State defense with Chiefs rookies LB
D.J. Alexander(2011-14) and CB Steven Nelson(2013-14).
- Chiefs CB Sean Smith (2005-08) overlapped at Utah with Vikings RB Matt Asiata (2007-10).
- Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer’s first taste of the coaching world came as an assistant at the University of Missouri (1979-80). He helped the Tigers to 7-5 and 8-4 seasons, earning berths in the Hall of Fame Bowl and Liberty Bowl.
- When Chiefs offensive line Coach Andy Heck (1985-88) played for Notre Dame, Vikings wide receivers coach George Stewart (1986-88) was the linebackers coach for the Fighting Irish.
- Chiefs spread game analyst/special projects Brad Childress (1978-84) served as a graduate assistant and the running backs/wide receivers coach at Illinois when Minnesota running backs coach Kirby Wilson (1981-82) played running back and wide receiver for the Illini.
- Chiefs S
Husain Abdullahwas a member of the Vikings from 2008-11. Abdullah recorded 122 total tackles during his time in Minnesota, in addition to four interceptions.
- Chiefs defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas was the Vikings defensive coordinator from 2000-01. The Vikings advanced to the 2000 NFC Championship Game with Thomas guiding the defense.
- Kansas City spread game analyst/special projects Brad Childress was the Minnesota head coach from 2006-10, where, in 2008-09, he helped the team win back-to-back division titles for the first time in 28 years.
- Minnesota special teams coordinator Mike Priefer served in the same role for the Chiefs from 2006-08.
- Vikings wide receivers coach George Stewart played as a guard for Kansas City during the 1981 season.
- Minnesota linebackers coach Adam Zimmer served as a defensive assistant for the Chiefs from 2010-12.
- Chiefs P
Dustin Colquittand Vikings S Harrison Smith are both natives of Knoxville, Tenn.
- Vikings CB Terence Newman is from Salina, Kan., and attended Central High School, where he was a member of the 1996 state championship team.
- Vikings QB Shaun Hill is a native of Parsons, Kan.
- Chiefs rookie CB
Marcus Petersand Vikings T Mike Harris are each from Oakland, Calif.
- Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, WR De’Anthony Thomas and Vikings running backs coach Kirby Wilson are all from Los Angeles, Calif.