University of Alabama
• A talented and versatile corner that can lock down on the outside and also move inside to the nickel back with equal ability
• First-team All-American by the AFCA
• A very physical player with excellent cover skills
• First-team midseason All-American by ESPN.com
• Secondary ranks No. 1 nationally in pass defense (116.3 ypg) & pass efficiency defense (83.9)
• Defense also ranks No. 1 in scoring defense (8.8 ppg) & total defense (191.3 ypg)
• Tied for fifth in the SEC and 42nd nationally with 1.0 passes defended per game
• Started 12 games in 2011 and 18 in his career
• Has 37 tackles that leads all Tide corners with 11 pass breakups, three TFLs and 1.5 sacks
• Returned his only interception of the year 25 yards for a touchdown against Arkansas
DeQuan Menzie is the Tide's starting cornerback opposite Dre Kirkpatrick ... he moves inside to the `star' or nickel back in passing situations ... very versatile and physical corner with outstanding cover skills while showing the ability to blitz off the corner and bring a toughness to the run support ... a first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association ... a first-team midseason All-American by ESPN.com ... his play has earned him consideration for the Jim Thorpe Award, which goes to the nation's best defensive back ... has 12 starts this year and 37 total tackles ... made 3.0 tackles for loss (-15 yards) with 1.5 sacks and a team-high 11 pass breakups ... recorded his first-career interception against Arkansas and returned it for a touchdown ... ranks tied for 42nd nationally and tied for fifth in the SEC with 1.0 passes defended per game ... part of a defense that leads the nation in pass defense (116.3 ypg) and pass efficiency defense (83.9) ... earned Defensive Player of the Week honors from the UA coaching staff following the season opener and was the coaches' Special Teams Player of the Week after Vanderbilt.
Menzie played in 12 games and earned seven starts in the defensive backfield ... totaled 33 tackles, including a secondary-high five tackles for a loss (-18 yards), two sacks (-11 yards) and broke up four passes.
DeQuan Menzie is a talented four-star defensive back prospect out of Copiah-Lincoln (Miss.) Community College ... ranked as the No. 6 junior college prospect by SuperPrep magazine ... rated 14th on the Rivals.com list of top junior college prospects ... selected as a second-team All-American by the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) following his sophomore season at Copiah-Lincoln where he started for two years for head coach Glenn Davis ... made 51 tackles with 36 solo stops and one interception in 2009 ... also garnered NJCAA All-Region 23 honors and was named the Most Valuable Defensive Back in the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) ... a first-team MACJC All-State selection ... registered 40 tackles and six interceptions during his freshman season.
Played for head coach Dell McGee at Carver High School in Columbus, Ga., where he earned AAA Georgia All-State honors from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Georgia Sports Writers Association in 2007 ... helped lead Caver to the 2007 Georgia AAA state championship ... chose Alabama over Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.