The Kansas City Chiefs are champions of the National Football League after winning Super Bowl LVII, but the work to defend that title is already underway.
Here's a look at some important dates to keep in mind on the NFL calendar over the next several months.
February 21: Teams may designate Franchise or Transition players between this date and 3 p.m. CT on March 7.
February 28 – March 6: The NFL Scouting Combine takes place in Indianapolis, Indiana.
March 7: The deadline for teams to designate Franchise or Transition players is at 3 p.m. CT.
March 13 – March 15: Teams are permitted to contact and enter into contract negations with the certified agents of players (or the player himself, if they do not have an agent) who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2022 contracts at 3 p.m. CT on March 15. This is referred to as the negotiating period.
March 15: The 2023 League Year begins at 3 p.m. CT, meaning that unrestricted free agents are permitted to sign contracts with any team. The onset of the new League Year also means the following:
- Prior to the 3 p.m. CT deadline, teams must exercise options for 2023 on all players who have an option clause in their contracts.
- Additionally, prior to the 3 p.m. CT deadline, teams must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts in order to retain a right to refusal (and compensation) should the player sign an offer sheet with another team.
- The trading period begins at 3 p.m. CT. No trades can officially take place before this time.
- Prior to 3 p.m. CT, all teams must be under the 2023 salary cap.
- Lastly, prior to 3 p.m. CT, teams must submit a minimum salary tender to players with expiring contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agent credit in order to retain exclusive negotiating rights.
April 17: Teams with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.
April 21: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
April 26: Deadline for teams to exercise their right of refusal to restricted free agents.
April 27 – 29: The NFL Draft takes place in Kansas City.
May 1: Deadline for teams to exercise fifth-year options for players selected in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft.
May 5 – 8 or May 12 – 15: Teams are permitted to hold one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp between one of the two indicated weekends.
For a look at the entire offseason calendar, click here.