The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Los Angeles Chargers, 38-28, for a season-opening victory on Sunday. Here are 13 quick facts about the game.
1. Tyreek Hill is still fast
Hill displayed his game-changing ability on his very first touch of the contest, bringing a punt back 91 yards for a touchdown.
The score was Hill’s 21st career touchdown, and it once again demonstrated the third-year receiver’s aptitude for the big play.
2. And minutes later, Hill did it again
On the fifth play of Kansas City’s first offensive drive, quarterback Patrick Mahomes found Hill across the middle of the field on a slant route. The fleet-footed Hill then cut up field towards the end zone, punching in yet another score of more than 50 yards.
Kurtis Seaboldt of Sports Radio 810 said it best.
Cue those 50-yard touchdown stats.
3. It wasn’t just impressive, it was historic
4. The advanced analytics further put the two scores into context
5. Mahomes and Hill went on to form quite the duo throughout the game
Mahomes found Hill seven times for 169 yards and two touchdowns on the afternoon – the most receiving yards the Chargers have allowed to a single player since Week 7 of 2016. It was also the most receiving yards by a Chiefs’ player since Hill tallied 185 yards in Week 13 of last season.
6. It continued a trend of success for Hill whenever he lines up against the Chargers
Hill has tallied 389 yards through the air in five career games against the Chargers – the most of any player in the NFL since 2016.
7. And it wasn’t just Hill finding the end zone, as fullback Anthony Sherman joined the action
Mahomes found Sherman streaking down the sideline on a wheel route to further extend Kansas City’s lead.
It was a beautiful throw, and folks were impressed.
8. Sherman’s touchdown was the third of four scoring passes for Mahomes
Kansas City’s young quarterback found the end zone four times on Sunday, achieving an impressive feat in just his second-career start. As Sports Radio 810’s Soren Petro points out, tossing four touchdowns isn’t easy.
9. It all added up to a strong performance for Mahomes in his first outing of the season
Mahomes completed 15-of-27 passes for 256 yards and four touchdowns in the contest, posting a 127.5 quarterback rating. It was an encouraging performance for the 22-year-old Mahomes, who is embarking on his first season as the Chiefs’ starter under center.
10. Linebacker Anthony Hitchens was all over the field in his first game with the Chiefs
Hitchens, who signed with Kansas City over the offseason, tallied a team-leading 15 tackles (7.0 solo) in the contest.
11. Speaking of the defense, the Chiefs forced two turnovers on Sunday
Safety Ron Parker picked off Chargers’ quarterback Philip Rivers midway through the third quarter – furthering a trend for the Chiefs’ defense. Kansas City has intercepted Rivers 14 times since 2014 – Kansas City’s most against an opposing passer in that span.
And the Chiefs weren’t done, as De’Anthony Thomas notched Kansas City’s second takeaway of the afternoon with a forced fumble in punt coverage.
12. The win marked the Chiefs’ ninth-straight over the Chargers
The streak is the longest in franchise history over the Chargers, and tied for the second-longest over a single opponent.
13. And, once again, the Chiefs emerged victorious against a division rival
No team in the NFL has found the divisional success that the Chiefs have enjoyed over the last four seasons.