The 2013 NFL Draft Spotlight series continues, as we preview one pro prospect per day, right up until the start of the draft, April 25-27. However, none of the reports in this series are indicative of who the Kansas City Chiefs plan to draft, with any of their currently-owned eight picks.
Day 2 of 32
Notre Dame Fighting Irish tight end Tyler Eifert caught six passes, totaling 61 yards during his team's 42-14 loss to Alabama in the Discover BCS National Championship. Shortly after the loss, Eifert declared that he would be entering the 2013 NFL Draft.
Shaking off the loss, Eifert had the Combine as a new focus and made the most of his opportunity.
Combine stats: (Top performer for his group)
40-yard dash (4.68 sec)
Vertical Jump (35.5 in.)
Broad Jump (119.0 in.)
3-Cone Drill (6.92 sec)
225-lb Bench Press (22 reps)
What else should you know about Tyler? He...
- Led the Irish with 50 catches for 685 yards and four touchdowns (2012)
- Is a reliable receiver with strong hands, catching 11-career ND TDs
- Is versatile, either lining up with hand down, in an H-back role, in the slot and outside (he played WR in high school)
- Uses his entire 6'6 frame to his advantage, going up after the ball, making tough grabs
- Is productive - in just three seasons, he holds ND records for catches (140) and receiving yards (1,840)
Eifert's 251-pound frame will likely find him matched against some stronger NFL ends or LBs, who will try to ride him off of his routes.
"He'll be a matchup problem for defenses," ESPN NFL Insider Mel Kiper Jr. said of Eifert.
"He's not extraordinary in any one area (maybe hand strength), but he's very good across the board. He's going to be the top tight end available in a league obsessed with them. Has pass-catching skills of a natural receiver and can be split out; will go up and high-point passes. He'll get off the line effectively and is underrated as a blocker." Eifert did suffer injuries in 2009 (back) and 2010 (left shoulder), which slowed him early on, but 100% health in 2012 has the TE's future looking bright.
Name: Tyler Eifert
College: Notre Dame
Hometown:Fort Wayne, IN