The second day, covering the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine, was fast and furious, as the quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers came, saw and conquered the media room and radio row. Oh yeah, there were also some offensive linemen, who stole the spotlight, as well.
Since there were so many great comments from the players on Thursday, I decided to list some of them, including some direct quotes.
1) Matt Barkely was asked 'What do you say to the critics, who say you don't have a strong enough arm?', Barkley responded with, 'I disagree,' evoking laughter from the crowd.
2) USA Olympian and speedy WR Marquise Goodwin wants to beat Chris Johnson's 4.24 40-yard dash time, which he has matched in the past.
3) WR Tavon Austin says he will consider his Combine experience successful, if he runs the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds or better and reps 225 pounds, 15 times.
4) Kansas State QB Collin Klein is determined to play the same position in the NFL, saying, "I'm going to pursue every possible door that I can to play quarterback and until every one of those are closed, I'm not really considering anything else."
5) Cordarrelle Patterson said the two toughest cornerbacks he faced as a Vols WR were, Alabama's Dee Milliner and Mississipi State's Johnthan Banks.
6) Geno Smith on not playing in the Senior Bowl, "I was ready to go out there and compete...I'm a very hard competitor and I love competition, I don't shy away from it....but I have people in my corner, who give me some very strong advice and who I hold dearly to, and they advised me to not go."
7) Zac Dysert says his three biggest strengths going into the NFL are: "Accuracy, being able to extend plays with my feet and throwing on the run."
8) Tyler Wilson's confident in his "natural ability to throw the football," heading into the NFL.
9) San Diego St. TE Gavin Escobar said two X-ray machines "broke down" during his time of medical reviews.
10) Wisconsin RB Montee Ball is confident, bringing his "accountability, durability and my ability to catch the ball out of the backfield," to the NFL.
11) Alabama's D.J. Fluker admitted that he's "always talking on the field." I asked him what he would say to me, if I was a defensive lineman and he said, "I'm about to come take your lunch money."
12) EJ Manuel says he's heard from former FSU teammates/current NFL players, Vikings QB Christian Ponder and Chiefs center Rodney Hudson, as both offered him advice on approaching the Combine.
13) Alabama tackle Chance Warmack told me that he was named after a movie character.
14) Sooners tackle Lane Johnson said he thought Sooners coach Bob Stoops was joking when he talked to Lane about moving from TE/DE to right tackle....turns out, it was a pretty good move.
15) South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore said he knows his injury "happened for a reason; for me to come back and inspire a lot of people." (This was the most inspiring interview of the day. Marcus admitted that both Vikings RB Adrian Peterson and Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles, serve as inspirations for him, during his way back to the playing field, following knee surgery).