Chiefs Come from Behind, Top Bills 23-13

Chiefs tie best start in franchise history at 9-0 (2003)



]( clouds in the sky, the sunshine arrived before kickoff, pushing the game-time temperature to 36 degrees for the Week 9 matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and Buffalo Bills.

The Chiefs won the coin flip and chose to begin on offense, in front of the 68,159 fans in Ralph Wilson Stadium, a great many of them dressed in Chiefs red.

The game's first three drives resulted in punts, before the Bills, behind QB Jeff Tuel, were able to get on the scoreboard first. Tuel found Bills WR Marquise Goodwin for a 59-yard score, giving the Bills an early 7-0 advantage.

Kansas City began on the next offensive drive from its own 16-yard line. Quick-strike throws from QB Alex Smith to Chiefs WRs Dwayne Bowe (12 yards) and Donnie Avery (five yards) were followed by a 10-yard rush by Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles, ending the first quarter.


The Chiefs opened the second quarter with another dose of Bowe, who gained 10 yards on the pass from Alex Smith. The chains were moving and momentum appeared to be swinging, before a penalty and near fumble, recovered by Chiefs tackle Eric Fisher, eventually led to a fourth-and-long situation, requiring a Dustin Colquitt punt.




Jeff Tuel's first pass in the second quarter was picked off by Chiefs safety Kendrick Lewis, who gave the ball right back to the Chiefs offense on the Bills 41-yard line.

Jamaal took the first play of the next drive for a run of six yards. Following an incomplete pass to Chiefs WR Dexter McCluster, Smith and the offense faced a third-and-four, when Alex avoided two would-be sacks on the play and found Bowe for a six-yard strike and a Chiefs first down.

Later on the Chiefs drive, needing to convert on a third-and-one, RB Anthony Sherman took his first-career Chiefs carry for two yards to move the sticks. Three plays later, the Chiefs moved inside the Bills 10-yard line, where they needed to call on Chiefs K Ryan Succop, who made good from 27 yards out to narrow the Bills lead to four, 7-3.

Buffalo used a 29-yard run by Spiller and a ten-yard rush by Bills WR Stevie Johnson to eventually land inside the Chiefs 10-yard line at the two-minute warning. Facing a third-and-goal from Kansas City's eight-yard line, Chiefs CB Marcus Cooper came up with a TD-saving PBU against Bills WR Robert Woods, leading to a 26-yard made FG by Bills K Dan Carpenter.

The Bills maintained their 10-3 lead into halftime.


The Bills opened the second half with a 61-yard run by Spiller, followed by three runs by Bills RB Fred Jackson, totaling 18 yards. Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson was flagged for pass interference on the next play, giving the Bills a first-and-goal from the Chiefs one-yard line.

Cue the bend-but-don't-break Chiefs defense.

The Bills gave the rock to Fred Jackson, who was stopped in his tracks for no gain by Chiefs LB Akeem Jordan. The next play again went to Jackson, who was stopped for no gain, courtesy of Chief DT Dontari Poe. Both textbook hits were the buildup to the next play, when Chiefs CB Sean Smith picked off Tuel's pass in the end zone, returning it 100 yards for the score. Succop added the PAT and just like that, the game was tied, 10-10.

Smith relived his TD return, following the game.

"I'm still tired, right now, from the return," Smith said. "I stepped back, read the eyes of the QB, and took it to the house."

The Bills tried to regain momentum on their next drive but were unable to convert on a fourth-and-two, giving the ball right back to the Chiefs.




The Chiefs took advantage of momentum on their next drive, highlighted by a 20-yard completion from Smith to TE Anthony Fasano. On the next play, Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles ran through a Bills tackle attempt for a 12-yard gain and then gained five more yards on the next rush. The drive stalled, however, at the Bills 22-yard line, when Succop gave his team a three-point lead with a 41-yard FG, 13-10.

Buffalo took 3:37 off the third-quarter clock, traveling 68 yards, before Kansas City's defense held on a third-and-nine at the Chiefs 12-yard line, leading to Dan Carpenter's 30-yard FG.

The score remained the same, 13-13, as the third quarter ended.


The Chiefs were forced to punt on their next drive, when the Bills took over on offense, beginning from their 13-yard line.

On the first play, Spiller was met quickly by Chiefs DL Mike DeVito for a loss of two yards, before Tuel ran for a couple of yards, leading to a third-and-ten, when yet another game-changing play was made by Bob Sutton's defense.

Marcus Cooper blanketed Bills WR T.J. Graham, who still made the catch, before Coop jarred the ball loose, picked up by the birthday boy, Chiefs LB Tamba Hali, who recovered the fumble and returned it from 11 yards out for the score. The Chiefs seized a 20-13 lead and never looked back.

"Cooper forced the fumble and the whistle didn't blow," Hali said, describing his TD. "It's another blessing from God. Being 1-0 each week is huge, because every game we come in now, we're going to get another team's best game and just knowing that and keeping our poise and just coming in and making sure we can execute and get a win is huge."

Cooper wasn't done. On the Bills very next drive, Cooper stayed right with Marquise Goodwin, preventing the completion and two Buffalo incompletions later, the Bills were forced to punt.




The Chiefs offense crossed midfield on its next drive, before needing Colquitt to do what he does best, pin the opposition deep as Chiefs CB Ron Parker downed the punt on the Bills three-yard line.

On the Bills ensuing drive, Tuel looked to spark the Bills with a 40-yard throw to Goodwin, but the officials ruled the pass incomplete. Bills head coach Doug Marrone challenged the call, which was upheld. After a third-down incompletion, the Bills punted.




The Chiefs offense regained possession with 6:29 to play in the fourth quarter. After a Jamaal Charles run, Smith found Bowe for a first-down completion, good enough for 10 yards. Jamaal then took a carry for 10 more yards as the clock continued to tick. Jamaal's next two rushes covered eight yards, leading to a ruled third-and-two. Jamaal's next rush was good for one yard, leading to a 39-yard FG attempt by Succop, who split the uprights, giving the Chiefs a 23-13 advantage.

The Bills trailed by 10 points as the two-minute warning hit. Buffalo moved to the Chiefs side of the field and later called timeout with 1:32 to play in the final period. On a fourth-and-four, Tuel overthrew Stevie Johnson, giving the ball back to the Chiefs.

Alex Smith took a knee on three-straight plays, milking the game clock to all zeroes and the Chiefs walked off the field at Ralph Wilson Stadium with a 23-13 win and the celebration below.

Kansas City is 9-0 for the second time in franchise history (2003).

For the Best Images of Chiefs vs Bills, click here.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content