The Kansas City Chiefs held their final day of minicamp on Thursday.
Here's what you need to know:
Nuts and Bolts * *
- This was the Chiefs' final practice until training camp
- The practice was considerably shorter than any other OTA or minicamp practice
- Cornerback Sean Smith was excused for personal reasons
- Linebacker Derrick Johnson and defensive lineman Dontari Poe were once again full participants
- Receiver Albert Wilson was once again a limited participant
- TE Demetrius Harris (foot) and RB Cyrus Gray (knee) are improving, but not yet ready to practice
- There is no new update yet on safety Eric Berry
- Rookie CB DeVante Bausby is having surgery on his clavicle today (Thursday)
- QB Tyler Bray (knee) was brought back for evaluation and a physical, but did not practice
- The team is now off until training camp
- Coach Reid spoke with the media after practice
A look at the third and final mandatory minicamp day held at The University of Kansas Hospital Training Complex.
Plays of the Day * *
This might have been one of Alex Smith's sharpest days throwing the football at either OTAs or a minicamp practice.
Smith was firing darts all over the field and a few of which were absolute dimes to receiver Jeremy Maclin. After both Smith and Maclin spoke about the continuity and timing they've developed throughout this offseason on Wednesday, they went out there and proved it on Thursday.
One of the top passes on the day was a deep slant-post in which rookie receiver Chris Conley had a step on the cornerback and Smith threaded the needle between Marcus Cooper and Husain Abdullah. The throw was for about 20 yards and couldn't have been more accurate or have any less room for error.
Conley's combination of size, speed and the ability to catch the football has been on display throughout OTAs and minicamp.
One of the other dimes from Smith to Maclin came on a quick slant in the red zone, where Smith led him perfectly in stride and Maclin snagged the ball out of the air between a couple of defenders.
The best catch of the day came also came from Maclin, when he took a pass in the corner of the end zone over the top of first-round pick Marcus Peters. Maclin was fully extended and the ball was placed only where he could get it.
Clips from practice * *
Here are a few clips of Thursday's practice:
Coach Andy Reid spoke about Father's Day After Practice * *
While the Chiefs won't take the field again until the end of July at training camp in St. Joseph, Missouri, coach Andy Reid spoke about what he'll be doing on his first free weekend of the next six weeks—this Sunday for Father's Day.
"My kids are going to take me to a buffet," Reid said laughingly. "I'm pretty excited. I'm obviously more into Mother's Day because I know who runs the house. I got it. I understand, but I appreciate the pat on the back from the kids.
"The girls love on you and the boys tell you to get off your tail and go get whatever you want to get."