Nuts and Bolts of Wednesday's practice
- The Chiefs held their eighth of 10 OTA practices on Wednesday
- For the second day in a row, the temperature soared above 90 degrees on the practice field
- Rookie cornerback DeVante Bausby, who left practice early on Tuesday, has a fractured clavicle and will be out until a further update is available at training camp
- Dontari Poe (back) and Jeremy Maclin (foot inflammation) did not practice on Wednesday
- Derrick Johnson was a limited participant in practice for the second day in a row
- Larry Duvernay-Tardif, Josh Mauga and Chris Conley spoke with the media after practice
A look at OTA's on Wednesday at The University of Kansas Hospital Training Complex.
Top Plays from Wednesday's practice
If the receivers were declared the winners on Tuesday, then Wednesday belonged to the defensive backs, who managed several nice pass breakups and a couple of interceptions during offense versus defense periods.
Jamell Fleming had a couple of nice pass breakups and an interception during team drills. On two of the pass breakups, Fleming had perfect timing to knock the ball down as the receiver attempted to bring it in to make the catch. On the interception, Fleming broke in front of the receiver to pick off the attempted pass from Chase Daniel.
Marcus Cooper had a nice pass breakup along the sideline on what would have been a nice pickup for the offense on a pass intended for tight end Adam Schiltz. Schiltz made the catch and was in the process of getting his feet down before he went out of bounds. That's when Cooper swiped at the ball and knocked it out of Shiltz's hands before he could secure the ball going to the ground.
Phillip Gaines had another nice play on Wednesday as he stepped in front of an Alex Smith pass that was intended for Chris Conley.
On the offensive side, the best catch of the day came from receiver Da'Rick Rogers, who made a nice one-handed catch down the seam. It was a nice pass from Daniel that gave Rogers a chance to make a play, which was definitely a head-turning moment for the offense on Wednesday.
Clips from Practice
Here are a few clips of what went on early at practice on Wednesday:
Player Spotlight – 1-on-1 with Chiefs OL Jeff Allen
Player Press Conferences