The Kansas City Chiefs began their three-day rookie minicamp on Saturday.
Here's what you need to know:
Nuts and Bolts
- There are 67 players participating in the minicamp, including all nine draft picks and the seven undrafted free agents who were recently signed
- Here's a full list of everyone who is participating this weekend
- The players had a rookie dinner last night, which can be seen here and featured Pro Football Hall of Famers Will Shields, Bobby Bell and Len Dawson, among others
- The players had meetings on Saturday morning and then had a walkthrough. Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and a handful of players spoke with the media after the walkthrough
- In the afternoon, the players were only allowed to wear helmets and practice for about three hours
- The weather was perfect and the temperature sat in the mid-80s for most of the day
The 2016 rookies take the field on Saturday to get work in.
Quotes of the Day
Chiefs coach Andy Reid:
"We are very excited to be here for the rookie phase of this minicamp. It looks like a good crew. I'll probably have more to tell you after I see them (on the field), but for what I saw this morning, it was all good."
Reid spoke about the teaching that takes place over the weekend:
"It's a clean slate. You're out there and you're installing – where you're in your fourth year with the other guys, this group here, they're hearing it for the first time. Every little step and detail, you better have covered. It's not all going to go in the first time – and we're throwing a lot at them to digest. But it's a nice challenge for them. That's the exciting part."
Rookie defensive lineman Chris Jones on his impressions of Kansas City:
"I heard it's the best barbecue around. It's pretty exciting.* *I haven't been anywhere yet. I got in late yesterday and we had some things to clear up, but I'm definitely going to have to go around the block to some barbecue places."
Rookie cornerback KeiVarae Russell on what it was like to put on an NFL jersey:
"Man, it's wild. As you see, I smile with joy. When I put it on, it's like, I literally ran out here and looked at all the coaches and was like, 'This is crazy. This is not Notre Dame anymore.' I looked around like, this is real, I'm playing in the NFL. We aren't on a college field. It was cool. I think today when we put the helmets on, it will feel even better to really compete with these guys. I can't wait for the afternoon."
Rookie wide receiver Demarcus Robinson on what he's trying to show this weekend:
"Just trying to show that I can learn the playbook and make plays. Letting them know that I could be a factor for the team."
Rookie wide receiver Tyreek Hill on what the last 24 hours has been like:
"The guys here, they welcomed me in just like a brother. Just like any other team. Nobody wanted to know (anything). It was just all love, everywhere you go. They're making me feel comfortable and that's all that I really can ask for."
Plays of the Day
Player Spotlight – Defensive Lineman Chris Jones