For Kansas City Chiefs defensive back Tyvon Branch, Sunday's game is like a family reunion—only the two sides of his "family" are historic AFC West rivals.
Branch came to play for the Chiefs after spending seven seasons with the Oakland Raiders.
He was drafted in the fourth round of the 2008 NFL Draft by Oakland.
From 2008 to 2014, Branch racked up 461 tackles (355 solo), 25 tackles for loss, 8.0 sacks for 83 yards lost, 12 quarterback pressures, 3 forced fumbles and 4 fumble recoveries on top of 4 career interceptions.
The Chiefs picked up Branch in the offseason to complement a defense that ranked No. 2 in the entire National Football League, with a secondary that didn't allow a 300-yard passing game to any quarterback in that season.
Branch spent the 2013 and 2014 seasons sidelined by injuries, but his arrival in Kansas City represented a new chance for the eight-year veteran.
"I had some setbacks and I'm just excited to have another opportunity," Branch said last spring. "Every opportunity you get to play this game is a blessing, and I'm blessed to have an opportunity with the Kansas City Chiefs."
- In six contests against the Raiders, QB Alex Smith has thrown for 14 touchdowns with an average of 217.8 yards passing per game. Smith has played a major role in his offensive units, scoring 182 points in those six contests. He is 5-1 all time when playing Oakland.
- LB Derrick Johnson has 117 tackles (101 solo), 3.0 sacks for a loss of 15 yards, 2 interceptions, 3 quarterback hurries, 9 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries and 8 passes defended in 17 contests against the Raiders.
- P Dustin Colquitt has punted 111 times in the 20 games that he has faced Oakland, with 51 landing inside of the 20. His 5,068 yards and 259 return yards in the series are good for a net average of 41.9 yards.
- In seven games against Oakland, S Eric Berry has 39 tackles (34 solo), 3.0 sacks for a loss of 22 yards, 2 interceptions in a single game in 2013, 4 quarterback hurries, 6 tackles for loss and 3 passes defended.
- The general managers of both the Raiders and Chiefs spent the majority of their careers in the front office with the Green Bay Packers. Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie was with the Packers from 1994-2011 in the pro personnel and football operations departments. Chiefs GM John Dorsey (1984-98, 2000-12) began as a player before transitioning into the scouting and football 0perations departments in Green Bay. Dorsey succeeded McKenzie as Packers' director of football operations when McKenzie became the Raiders' general manager in 2012.
- Additionally, Raiders defensive line coach Jethro Franklin (2000-04) was the defensive line coach with the Packers with Dorsey and numerous other members of the Chiefs staff. Oakland director of college scouting Shaun Herock spent 11 seasons as the Packers' assistant director of college scouting, when John Dorsey was the director of college scouting from 2000-11.
- Also in Green Bay, Kansas City LB Frank Zombo (2010-12), Oakland WR Jeremy Ross (2012-13) and S Charles Woodson (2006-12) played for the Packers together.
- Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio (2003-11) was the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars for nine seasons. While with the Jaguars, Del Rio and Raiders tight ends coach Bobby Johnson (2012), offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave (2003-04), offensive line coach Mike Tice (2006-09) and OL Khalif Barnes (2005-08) were with Chiefs offensive line coach Andy Heck (2004-12) when Heck coached the offensive line, spending his final seven seasons as offensive line coach with the Jaguars.
- Chiefs defensive line coach Tommy Brasher spent the 1990 season as the defensive line coach with the Buccaneers, while Raiders defensive assistant Sam Anno (1989-91) was a linebacker in Tampa Bay. Anno went on to play for the San Diego Chargers (1992-93), where he was a teammate of Chiefs running backs coach Eric Bieniemy (1991-94), while Bieniemy was a running back.
- Oakland quarterbacks coach Todd Downing (2001-05) began his career on the Minnesota Vikings coaching staff while Emmitt Thomas (2000-01) was the team's defensive coordinator.
- Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub (2004-12) held the same title with the Chicago Bears while Raiders assistant offensive line coach Tim Holt (2012) spent one season in the same position with the Bears in addition to Raiders T J'Marcus Webb (2010-12) playing for Chicago.
- Kansas City FB Anthony Sherman (2011-12) played for the Cardinals when Oakland DT Dan Williams (2010-14) was in Arizona.
- Raiders offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave (2006-10) was the Falcons quarterbacks coach for five seasons while Chiefs defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09) served numerous positions in Atlanta, including interim head coach in 2007 and assistant head coach and secondary from 2008-09. Additionally, Musgrave (2011-13) spent three seasons as the Vikings offensive coordinator while Chiefs S Husain Abdullah (2008-11) was in the Minnesota secondary.
- Raiders running backs coach Bernie Parmalee (1999-00) spent his final NFL season as a running back for the Jets while Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton (2000-12) began his time in New York as the Jets' linebackers coach. Additionally, Sutton was with the Jets when Chiefs assistant linebackers coach Mark DeLeone (2012) was a defensive assistant with the Jets, Raiders G Austin Howard (2011-13) played in New York alongside Kansas City LB Josh Mauga (2009-13) and DE Mike DeVito (2007-12).
- Chiefs QB Alex Smith (2005-12) was with the 49ers while Raiders special teams coordinator Brad Seely (2011-14) was the assistant head coach and special teams coordinator in San Francisco. Additionally, Smith and Raiders WR Michael Crabtree (2009-14) played for the 49ers together. From 2009-12, Smith completed 891 passes for 10,096 yards and 67 touchdowns. Oakland S Taylor Mays (2010) also played during Smith and Crabtree's time in San Francisco.
- Kansas City DB Ron Parker (2011) was with the Seattle Seahawks while Oakland assistant special teams coach Tracy Smith (2011) was a coaching assistant in Seattle.
- Kansas City FB and RB Spencer Ware (2013) played for the Seahawks when Oakland LB Benson Mayowa (2013) spent a single season in Seattle and LB Malcolm Smith (2011-14) played for the franchise.
- Chiefs defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas (2000-01) was the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings while Raiders offensive line coach Mike Tice (1996-05) spent part of his Vikings' career as offensive line and assistant head coach as well as interim head coach in 2001. Later in his career, Tice (2010-12) was with the Bears as offensive line coach and offensive coordinator his final season when Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub (2004-12) was leading the Chicago special teams unit.
- Oakland assistant defensive backs coach Rod Woodson (1987-96) began his Hall of Fame career with the Pittsburgh Steelers while Chiefs assistant head coach and wide receivers David Culley (1996-98) was the wide receivers coach.
- Raiders S Nate Allen (2010-14) and G Austin Howard (2010) played for Philadelphia when Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and multiple members of the Chiefs staff were a part of the Eagles from 1999 to 2012.
- Oakland LS Jon Condo (2005) played for the Cowboys when Chiefs linebackers coach Gary Gibbs (2002-05) served in the same role.
- Oakland T Donald Penn (2006) spent a single season in Minneapolis when Chiefs running backs coach Eric Bieniemy (2006-10) served in the same role and spread game analyst and special projects Brad Childress (2006-10) was the head coach of the Vikings.
- Raiders defensive line coach Jethro Franklin (2010) and WR Rod Streater (2010-11) spent time at Temple while Chiefs assistant defensive line coach Britt Reid (2010-12) was a student assistant with the Owls.
- Oakland running backs coach Bernie Parmalee spent the 2014 season at the University of Kansas as the Jayhawks' quality control-offense and assistant running backs coach.
- Chiefs OL Zach Fulton (2010-13) and Raiders TE Mychal Rivera (2010-12) played at Tennessee while Raiders linebackers coach Sal Sunseri (2012) was the defensive coordinator for the Volunteers.
- Oakland LB Neiron Ball (2012-14) played for the Gators alongside Chiefs DL Jaye Howard (2008-11) when the two were at the University of Florida.
- For a single season at Utah, Chiefs CB Sean Smith (2005-08) and Oakland OL Tony Bergstrom (2008-11) played together.
- When Chiefs DE Allen Bailey (2007-10) played in his last season for the Hurricanes, Raiders G Jon Feliciano (2010-14) and TE Clive Walford (2010-14) were true freshmen at Miami.
- Oakland LB Ben Heeney (2011-14) and CB Dexter McDonald both played for the Kansas Jayhawks during their collegiate careers.
- Chiefs CB Jamell Fleming (2007-11) spent a single season with Raiders LB Curtis Lofton (2005-07) when the two played for the Oklahoma Sooners. Raiders DT Stacy McGee (2009-12) also played for the Sooners when Fleming was in Norman.
- Chiefs LB Dee Ford (2009-13) and Oakland CB Neiko Thorpe (2008-11) were a part of the Auburn Tigers' defense together for several seasons.
- Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio (1987-88) spent two seasons as a linebacker for the Chiefs. Del Rio started 17 games, recording 77 total tackles and 4.0 sacks.
- Oakland C Rodney Hudson (2011-14) saw action in 51 games with 35 starts during his time with the Chiefs.
- Raiders running backs coach Bernie Parmalee (2010-12) was the tight ends coach with the Chiefs for three seasons.
- Chiefs DB Ron Parker played in three games for the Raiders during the 2011 season.
Hometown and Local
- Chiefs rookie CB Marcus Peters is an Oakland, Calif., native. Peters led McClymonds High School in Oakland to the school's first undefeated season and was named MVP of the Oakland Athletic League as a senior.
- Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie, director of player personnel Joey Clinkscales and Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt are all from Knoxville, Tenn.
- Oakland strength and conditioning assistant Wes Miller is a native of St. Joseph, Mo.
- Chiefs CB Sean Smith and Raiders defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson are both natives of Pasadena, Calif.
- Oakland CB DJ Hayden, Chiefs linebackers coach Gary Gibbs and DT David King are all natives of Houston, Texas.
- Raiders LB Ben Heeney attended Hutchinson High School in Hutchison, Kan.
- Oakland CB Dexter McDonald is a native of Kansas City, Mo. McDonald played at Rockhurst High School and at Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kan.
- Chiefs assistant defensive line coach Britt Reid and Raiders FB Jamize Olawale were both born in San Francisco, Calif.
A look back through the years at Chiefs versus Raiders games.