Sunday marks the beginning of a new season, the third for the Kansas City Chiefs under offensive mastermind and head coach Andy Reid.
The 2015 Chiefs schedule features five matchups against 2014 playoff teams, including two against the AFC West division rival Denver Broncos.
Reid is 9-7 in season-opening contests overall and boasts a record of 6-3 on the road. Kansas City has a 28-27 record in season openers with one win and one loss under Reid. The Chiefs are tied with the AFC South's Houston Texans overall record against each other, 3-3.
The last time Reid began the regular season in Houston came in 2006 and resulted in a 24-10 victory for the Philadelphia Eagles, who put up 441 total yards on the Texans. Altogether, Reid is 4-0 against the Texans with three wins during his tenure in Philadelphia and one win with Kansas City in 2013. In those four games, Reid's teams have outscored Houston 110-67.
Likewise, quarterback Alex Smith is 4-3 when starting in a season opener. In those matchups, the play caller threw for 1,349 total yards for an average of 192.7 yards per game.
Along with the kickoff of the 2015 regular season for Kansas City, Sunday will also feature a new crop of familiar faces, former teammates, former coaches and friends on the field. Former Chiefs head coach and now Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel is among them.
Crennel now leads the high-octane Texans defense that boasted 34 takeaways in 2014 to lead the league and includes the 2014 defensive player of the year, defensive end J.J. Watt.* *
Chiefs vs. Texans Series History
- Week 1's matchup in Houston marks the seventh time the Chiefs and Texans have met. The six-game series is tied at 3-3, and in games played in Houston, the series is tied at two games apiece.
- Chiefs players have set two personal records while playing the Texans. In 2004, Priest Holmes passed Christian Okoye to become Kansas City's all-time leading rusher. The following season, Larry Johnson broke Barry Word's franchise record for single-game rushing yards with 211. Both records have since been broken by Jamaal Charles.
- The Chiefs and Texans have met one other time in a season's opening game. The Texans defeated the Chiefs, 20-3, in Week 1 of the 2007 season.
Hometown and Local
- Houston S Rahim Mooreshares the hometown of Los Angeles, Calif., with Chiefs head coach Andy Reidand WR De'Anthony Thomas.
- Texans founder, chairman and CEO Robert McNair, as well as offensive coordinator George Godseyand Chiefs QB Aaron Murrayand LB Ramik Wilsonare all from Tampa, Fla.
- Chiefs linebackers coach Gary Gibbsis a Houston, Texas, native.
- Texans director of college scouting Jon Carrwas a QB at Southeast Missouri State from 1987-89.
- Houston S Lonnie Ballentine(2010-13) and Chiefs DT Dontari Poe(2009-11) were both members of the University of Memphis defense together. Both Ballentine and Poe**are from Memphis, Tenn.
- Kansas City CBPhillip Gaines *(2009-13) and Houston DTChristian Covington *(2011-14) were defensive teammates at Rice. Both were First-Team All C-USA players in 2013.
- Texans LBAkeem Dent *(2007-10) played at Georgia with Chiefs LBJustin Houston (2007-10) and QBAaron Murray *(2009-13). Dent and Houston were named All-SEC performers in 2010.
- All four Chiefs who played for Georgia, LBJustin Houston *(2007-10), QBAaron Murray (2009-13), WRChris Conley (2011-14) and LBRamik Wilson (2011-14), shared seasons on the Bulldogs roster with Texans CBen Jones *(2008-11).
- Texans FBJay Prosch *played with Chiefs players at two different schools during his time in college. Prosch was a part of the Illinois football team from 2010-11 when Kansas City OLJeff Allen (2008-11) was on the squad; the Fighting Illini won the 2011 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl under Ron Zook. Prosch then transferred to Auburn for the 2012 and 2013 seasons, when he teamed up with Chiefs LBDee Ford *(2009-13) and competed in the 2014 BCS National Championship.
- Chiefs 2015 first round pick CBMarcus Peters *(2011-14) spent his redshirt freshman season at Washington alongside Texans RBChris Polk *(2008-11).
- Texans SEddie Pleasant *(2007-11) was a part of the University of Oregon football team with Chiefs WRDe'Anthony Thomas *(2011-13). The two won the 2012 Rose Bowl, defeating Wisconsin 45-38.
- Kansas City RB Knile Davis(2009-12) and Houston QB Ryan Mallett(2009-10) played for the Arkansas Razorbacks together.
- Chiefs FB Anthony Sherman(2007-10) and S Tyvon Branch(2004-08) played for the UConn Huskies while Texans TE Ryan Griffin(2008-11) was on the team. UConn is also the alma mater of Kansas City GM John Dorsey(1980-84).
- Houston RB Arian Foster(2004-08) spent time with the Volunteers when Chiefs S Eric Berry(2007-09) and P Dustin Colquitt(2000-04) played for Tennessee.
- Texans LB Justin Tuggle(2011) played at Kansas State, where he appeared in four games for the Wildcats.
- Texans head coach Bill O'Brien(2007-11) was an offensive assistant before moving on to wide receivers coach with the New England Patriots while Chiefs director of college scouting Marvin Allen(1993-08) was an area scout with the Patriots. Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel(1993-96, 2001-04) was the defensive line coach before coming back for his second stint in New England as defensive coordinator with Allen. Crennelwas also a coach for the Patriots while Chiefs assistant offensive line coach Eugene Chung(1992-94) was a first-round draft pick as an offensive lineman with the Patriots. Marvin Allenwas also on the staff with the Patriots while Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel(2001-08) played in New England.
- Chiefs director of football administration Trip MacCracken(1999-09) served in the front office with the Cleveland Browns while Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel(2000, 2005-08) was the defensive coordinator in 2000 before making his way back as head coach from 2005-08.
- Chiefs assistant strength and conditioning coach Brent Salazarwas a strength and conditioning intern with the Denver Broncos in 2005 while Texans executive vice president and general manager Rick Smith(1996-06) was the director of pro personnel in Denver.
- Houston RB Jonathan Grimes(2012) played and offensive line coach Mike Devlin(2007-14) served numerous positions on the offensive coaching staff with the New York Jets while Chiefs LB Josh Mauga(2009-13) played, defensive coordinator Bob Sutton(2000-12) was the defensive coordinator and assistant linebackers coach Mark DeLeonewas a defensive assistant in 2012 with the Jets.
- Texans running backs coach Charles London(2007-09) was an offensive assistant before moving to offensive assistant and assistant wide receivers coach with the Chicago Bears while Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub(2004-12) served in the same capacity with the Bears.
- London then moved on to the Philadelphia Eagles in 2010 as an area scout with numerous members of the Chiefs coaching staff, along with Texans RB Chris Polk(2012-14). Polk and Chiefs WR Jeremy Maclin(2009-14) were a part of an Eagles offense that amassed 18,689 total yards from 2012 to 2014 under the direction of Kansas City head coach Andy Reid.
- Texans president Jamey Rootes(1995-2000) was the president and general manager of the Columbus Crew of the MLS. Rootes worked with Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Huntas well as Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt, who were owners of the Crew from 1994-2013.
- Chiefs offensive line coach Andy Heck(2004-12) was an offensive assistant and assistant offensive line coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars (2004-12) while Texans special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky(2000-04) was the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator with the Jaguars. Heck (2006-12) was also in Jacksonville while Houston WR Cecil Shorts(2011-14) and RB Jonathan Grimes(2012) played for the Jaguars.
- Ligashesky (2011) was a special teams assistant and Texans P Shane Lechler(2000-12) was with the Oakland Raiders for one season while Chiefs DB Ron Parker(2011) and S Tyvon Branch(2008-14) were with the Raiders.
- Texans RB Chris Polk(2012-14). Polk and Chiefs WR Jeremy Maclin(2009-14) were a part of an Eagles offense that amassed 18,689 total yards from 2012 to 2014 under the direction of Kansas City head coach Andy Reid.
- Texans defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni(2005-07, 2010), who was the tight ends coach in 2005. Pasqualoni (2008-09) was the defensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins while Chiefs CB Sean Smith(2009-12) was a rookie CB with the Dolphins.
- Chiefs QB Alex Smith(2005), T Eric Fisher(2013) and Texans LB Jadeveon Clowney(2014) were all No. 1 Overall picks in the NFL Draft.
- Chiefs CB Jamell Fleming(2012-13) played alongside Texans LB John Simon(2013) for the Baltimore Ravens for one season.
- Kansas City FB Anthony Sherman(2011-12) played for Arizona when Houston QB Brian Hoyer(2012) spent a season with the Cardinals.
- Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel(2010-12) was the defensive coordinator with the Chiefs before being promoted to interim head coach and defensive coordinator in 2011. The following season, Crennel was promoted to head coach.
- Houston defensive assistant Anthony Pleasant(2010-12) was the defensive line coach for the Chiefs for three seasons. Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel(2009-10) was a LB with the Chiefs for the final two seasons of his career. Vrabel started 30 games for the Chiefs, recording 73 total tackles.
- Texans FS Quintin Dempsplayed for the Chiefs in 2013. Demps played in all 16 games, recording four interceptions.