Here are the connections between the Kansas City Chiefs and Detroit Lions in Sunday's game:
- Alex Smith has thrown for 717 yards with only 1 interception and 4 touchdowns in 4 games against the Lions. He has a rating of 88.2 in those contests and has won every single matchup.
- In 6 games (3 starts) against the Lions, Husain Abdullah has 18 tackles (13 solo), 3 passes defended and 1 tackle for loss.
- Jeremy Maclin has caught 9 passes for 156 yards, good for an average of 17.3 yards per catch, and 2 touchdowns in his 2 career matchups against Detroit. He has 71 yards after the catch on those receptions.
- In 2 games against Detroit, Tamba Hali has 10 tackles (6 solo) and 4 quarterback hurries.
- Lions S Isa Abdul-Quddus (2011-13), Chiefs QB Chase Daniel (2009-12) and G Ben Grubbs (2012-14) were teammates together with the New Orleans Saints.
- Detroit RB Joique Bell spent the 2010 season with the Philadelphia Eagles with numerous members of the Kansas City coaching staff, including head coach Andy Reid (1999-2012), as well as Chiefs WRs Jeremy Maclin (2009-14) and Jason Avant (2006-13). Lions DE Darryl Tapp (2010-12) also spent numerous seasons with the Eagles, playing for Reid in Philadelphia.
- Lions head coach Jim Caldwell (2012-13), who served as the offensive coordinator coached Chiefs OL Jah Reid (2011-14), CB Jamell Fleming (2012-13), G Ben Grubbs (2007-11), Lions LB Josh Bynes (2011-13) and DT Haloti Ngata (2006-14) were together with the Baltimore Ravens for numerous seasons. Additionally, Lions S James Ihedigbo (2012-13) was a teammate of Reid and Fleming in Baltimore and Lions CB Josh Wilson (2010) teamed with Grubbs for one season.
- Lions S Don Carey spent the 2010 season and CB Rashean Mathis (2003-12) spent the majority of his career with the Jaguars while Chiefs offensive line coach Andy Heck (2004-12) was Jacksonville's offensive line coach. Additionally, Heck was in Jacksonville when Lions assistant head coach and tight ends Ron Prince (2012) was the assistant offensive line coach, defensive backs and cornerbacks coach Tony Oden (2012) was the defensive backs coach and wide rceivers coach Robert Prince (2007-08) was the assistant wide receivers coach for the Jaguars. Robert Prince (2009) was also the wide receivers coach for the Seahawks when Kansas City director of pro scouting Will Lewis (1999-2011) worked in the Seattle personnel department.
- During his playing career, Chiefs defensive assistant and secondary Al Harris spent the 2011 season as a cornerback for the Rams while Lions defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo (2010-13) was on the St. Louis defense.
- Lions DT Andre Fluellen played in two games for the Miami Dolphins in 2012, where he was a teammate of Chiefs CB Sean Smith (2009-12) and while Chiefs defensive assistant and secondary Al Harris (2012) was a coaching Intern. Harris was joined on the defensive coaching staff by Detroit linebackers coach Bill Sheridan (2010-11), who served in the same role in Miami.
- While he was in the same coaching capacity with the New York Jets, Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton (2000-12) coached Lions S James Ihedigbo (2008-10), who was a teammate of Chiefs LB Josh Mauga (2009-13) with the Jets.
- Lions DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen (2012-14) was a member of the Browns defense while Chiefs spread game analyst and special projects Brad Childress (2012) was the Browns offensive coordinator.
- Chiefs defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09) was the defensive backs coach and interim head coach with the Falcons in 2007 while Lions K Matt Prater was a rookie in Atlanta.
- Chiefs DB Ron Parker and Lions DE Jason Jones spent part of the 2012 season together with the Seahawks. Lions WR Golden Tate (2010-13) was also a teammate of Parker, Jones and Chiefs RB-FB Spencer Ware (2013) in Seattle. Additionally, Chiefs director of pro scouting Will Lewis (1999-2011) was in Seattle's front office when the team drafted Lions DE Darryl Tapp (2006-09) in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft, CB Josh Wilson (2007-09) in the second round in 2007 and Tate in the second round in 2010.
- Detroit general manager Martin Mayhew (1989-92) played for Washington when Kansas City Defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas (1986-94) served as the secondary coach and Lions coordinator of physical development Jason Arapoff (1988-2000) was a Conditioning Assistant. Mayhew also played for the Buccaneers when Chiefs assistant head coach and WRs David Culley served in the same role (1994-95).
- Wide receivers coach Robert Prince (2004-06) served on the offensive staff and senior personnel executive Brian Xanders (1994-08) worked in various roles for Atlanta when Chiefs defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09) coached the secondary for the Falcons. When Chiefs QB Chase Daniel (2009-12) and G Ben Grubbs (2012-14) played in New Orleans, Detroit defensive backs and cornerbacks coach Tony Oden (2006-11) coached the secondary. Kansas City defensive assistant and secondary coach Al Harris (1997) played for Tampa Bay when Detroit special teams coordinator Joe Marciano (1996-01) served in the same role for the Buccaneers.
- Chiefs FB Anthony Sherman (2011-12) played for the Cardinals when Lions defensive assistant and defensive ends coach Matt Raich (2007-12) served on the Arizona defense.
- Chiefs CB Marcus Cooper (2008-12) and Lions FB Michael Burton (2010-2014) were teammates at Rutgers for three seasons together. Detroit assistant special teams coach Devin Fitzsimmons (2012) also served as an offensive assistant at Rutgers while Cooper was in his senior season.
- Lions LB Josh Bynes (2007-10), DT Gabe Wright (2011-14) and Chiefs LB Dee Ford (2009-13) played at Auburn together for two seasons. During their two seasons, Bynes and Ford won the 2010 BCS National Championship for the Tigers.
- Chiefs OL Donald Stephenson (2008-11), CB Jamell Fleming (2007-11), LS James Winchester (2010-11) and Lions LB Travis Lewis (2008-11) were teammates at Oklahoma under Bob Stoops.
- Lions WR Corey Fuller (2009-10) spent the first two years of his college career at Kansas on the Jayhawks' track and field team.
- Lions T Cornelius Lucas (2010-13) started in 26 games during his time at Kansas State under head coach Bill Snyder.
- Chiefs S Tyvon Branch (2004-07) and Lions QB Dan Orlovsky (2001-04) overlapped for one season at the University of Connecticut.
- Detroit QB Matthew Stafford (2006-08) and Kansas City LB Justin Houston (2007-10) were teammates at Georgia for two seasons together. Stafford and Houston helped Georgia defeat Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl in 2008.
- Chiefs RB Knile Davis (2009-12) and Lions C Travis Swanson (2010-13) were teammates at Arkansas for three seasons. In 2010, Davis rushed for 1,362 yards with the help of Swanson's offensive line.
- While he was a student assistant at Temple, Chiefs assistant defensive line coach Britt Reid (2010-12) helped coach Lions LB Tahir Whitehead (2008-11).
- Kansas City TE Travis Kelce (2008-12) and Detroit RB George Winn (2009-12) were teammates on the Cincinnati offense for four seasons together.
- Chiefs WR Jason Avant (2002-05) played for the Michigan Wolverines when Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin (1999-02) was the defensive backs coach and linebackers coach Bill Sheridan (2002-04) was the defensive line and linebackers coach in Ann Arbor. Austin (2010) also served as the defensive coordinator and cornerbacks coach at Florida when Chiefs WR Frankie Hammond Jr. (2008-12) and DT Jaye Howard (2008-11) played for the Gators.
- Lions quarterbacks coach Jim Bob Cooter (2007-08) was a graduate assistant for the Volunteers when Chiefs S Eric Berry (2007-09) played for Tennessee.
- Detroit assistant head coach and tight ends Ron Prince (2006-08) was hired as the head coach of the Kansas State Wildcats when legendary Coach Bill Snyder briefly retired. Snyder returned before the 2009 season and still serves as the head coach in Manhattan. Lions assistant special teams coach Devin Fitzsimmons (2007-08) worked under Prince while at Kansas State when he served as the Wildcats' coordinator of football operations from 2007-08.
- Lions defensive backs and cornerbacks coach Tony Oden (1998-99) served as the assistant defensive backs coach and linebackers coach Bill Sheridan (1992-97) was the defensive backs and linebackers coach when Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton (1983-99) was a part of the Army Black Knights coaching staff. Sutton was the defensive coordinator from 1983 until 1990, then was later promoted to head coach from 1991-99. As the head coach, Bob Sutton became the first Army coach to beat Navy five straight times from 1992-96.
- Detroit quarterbacks coach Jim Bob Cooter (2012) served as the offensive quality control coach for the Kansas City Chiefs for a single season.
- Lions senior coaching advisor Gunther Cunningham (1995-00) contributed to the Chiefs success in the late 90's. He served as the defensive coordinator from 1995-98 and was later promoted to head coach of the Chiefs for the 1999 and 2000 seasons. Kansas City went 16-16 (.500) during his time. Cunningham later returned to Kansas City from 2004-08 to serve as the defensive coordinator for the Chiefs.
- Detroit running backs coach Curtis Modkins (2008) served in the same role in Kansas City.
- Chiefs defensive assistant and secondary Al Harris and Lions LB Josh Bynes are both from Pompano Beach, Fla.
- Lions G Manny Ramirez, C Travis Swanson, CB Josh Wilson and Chiefs linebackers coach Gary Gibbs all hail from Houston, Texas.
- Detroit DE Devin Taylor (2004-07) and Kansas City DB Ron Parker (2002-05) were teammates at Beaufort High School in Beaufort, S.C. for two seasons together.
- Chiefs OL Jeff Allen, WR Jason Avant and Lions G Laken Tomlinson are all from Chicago, Ill.
- Lions assistant head coach and tight ends Ron Prince is a Junction City, Kan. native and went on to play for the Dodge City Conquistadors where he later served as a volunteer in 1992.